Monday, May 3, 2010

Goodbye, Albie

I wasn't sure that I was ever going to write this post because I knew that it would conjure up many of the raw feelings still associated with this event in our family's life, but I know it needs to be done. It's part of our history.

As many of you know, we have struggled for 2 years with Liam's severe allergies. He's allergic to dogs, sesame, oak, and a variety of other things. After our initial appointment with his allergist we have tried washing Albus with hypoallergenic shampoo, vacuuming with a HEPA filter vacuum, using HEPA filter heater filters, etc. For a while, it all seemed to be going ok. But, it was very difficult for our sweet doggy, Albus. He wasn't allowed on our beds or furniture or to cuddle on our blankets. This was a huge lifestyle change for him. Plus, Liam wasn't allowed to play with him in the same way that he used to.

Over the last year, Liam has been sick more and more often. We've tried everything. Unfortunately, we came to the difficult decision that our little Albus had to find a new home. It wasn't fair to Albus because we were harder on him and couldn't love on him like we used to. And it isn't fair to Liam that we don't give his allergies every shot to resolve. We put of the decision for many months, but after much thought and prayer, decided to call the people we adopted him from as a puppy.

When we adopted Albus 5 years ago, we signed a contract that if we were unable to care for him, we would bring him back to their home in Fallon and they would find a perfect fit for him. Fortunately, these wonderful people welcomed him back into their home and assured us that they will find a perfect home for him. They think he will be going to a nice, older couple that can give him lots of time, energy and love.

The day we took him back to Fallon was one of the hardest days we have had in a long time. Wes and I don't remember a time where we've cried so much. Liam was sad, but we simply explained to him that he's such wonderful doggy, we have to share him with another family now and that he has to go to their new, wonderful home. We can't be selfish and have to share our sweet little guy. He was our first baby and we still love him dearly, but we know, without a doubt, that this is the right choice for our sweet doggy. Originally I was just going to have Wes take him because I couldn't face the situation with all of my crazy pregnancy hormones, but I went and I'm so glad that I did. It was so reassuring to see Darrell and Molly and their other inside dogs welcome him in and love him and assure us that he'll be lovingly cared for. Thankfully, GG was able to take care of Liam so that he wouldn't see us so sad.

We know that his new owner will have many happy years with Albus. He is a very, sweet, loyal, and loving doggy that will be a constant loving companion for his new owners.

Our last little family photo. We're all a mess, but again, this is part of our history.
Wes assures me that since he was ours first, he'll be ours again in eternity. :)

No comments: