Friday, September 5, 2008

Hot Air Balloons, Stomas, and Packages, Oh My!


I can officially say I'm overwhelmed! What a week it's been. It's been stressful, therefore I'm so glad it's Friday. Yesterday on my way to clinical I was sooo mad because I didn't have the camera in the car to take a photo of the gorgeous hot air balloons from the Reno Balloon Races. Well, today they were a lot further away, but it was still a beautiful site to see so early in the morning! It's just a gorgeous site to come over the hill and see the sky dotted with all different colors, shapes and size of beautiful balloons.
Today was also a very fun day in clinical. We had a VERY long and extensive lecture on wound care that was interesting and enlightening, however I have been sitting and listening for at LEAST 5 hours a day(on average) for the last two weeks. I'm just a *tad* burnt out. All of the lectures have been amazing, but with the back pain I've been having, it's *really* hard to sit that long. Thankfully, the chiropracter is getting me all fixed up. So, you can't possibly imagine our excitement when we finally got to practice something. Let me tell you, I NEVER thought I would be so excited about a play-doh stoma and practicing ostomy care(if you don't know what that is, google it if you want to be frightened or enlightened--you decide after reading...) Anyway, we felt like we were doing arts and crafts in clinical while also practicing skills. These lovely ladies are the ladies I carpool with and study with during the next 16 or so months. Today, we for our lunch break and went to the institute's Friday Forum $1 homemade lunch! We had a blast and Brother Bolingbroke(for those of you who don't know him, he's hilarious) was quite confused by our stoma excitement, but told us he would definitely let us take his pulse because we were such a cute group of future nurses. haha

Anyway, after lunch we got to suture and staple removal-- more fun. :) I was feeling much better about things and to make things better, I came home to a lovely and thoughtful package from my wonderful mother-in-law. She made me my favorite cookies, sent a bag of peach rings(my favorite again), school supplies and some yummy Three Musketeers bars. She also set Liam a lovely noise maker and some Spiderman fruit snacks.

Anyway, there is my update. I guess you are a *true* nursing student when stomas excite you. I'm sure there is much more fun to come!

1 comment:

Jana Banana said...

Man your school seems fun :) haha!! I glad you can be excited about school :) It will make it go by quicker! Oh and I can't read your text unless I highlight it... I dont know why