Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Busy Day Off!

Nana came in to Reno yesterday to shop for the troops and then was able to stay overnight to help me with some Christmas gift projects that I've been planning since I had today off of school. First, we put Liam to work cutting out some letters and shapes for the projects. We're teaching him young!
Here is one of my finished projects. Erica gave me this idea and we did our kids' together. I am using this for St. Nicholas Day which is in early December. This is a German tradition where the children put their shoes out to be filled with candy by St. Nick. St. Nick doesn't come on Christmas day in Germany, the Christ child does. So, we're mixing it up a bit and letting him come both times. haha. Anyway, I'm going to use this can each year to put out with the shoes and put his Christmas PJs and ornament for the year in it. That way he can enjoy them throughout December and doesn't have to wait until the next year. And, of course, he'll get some candy or something yummy in his shoes--if he's good! Otherwise, Jack someone(can't remember the little story) leaves a whip across the shoes! Guess those German kids are tougher. At least we only get coal if we're naughty. Anyway, then you also keep a little photo album in the can with photos of your child in his/her Christmas jammies from all the years. I'm really happy with how Liam's turned out, but I still can't quite decide if I want to add more ribbon or not. We used scrapbooking paper and then modge podged over it. Took some time, but turned out great. They are much cuter in person so you can see the sparkles!
Here's the cute little lid and key to reopen it each year. I had to post this for Erica because I thought she'd laugh at my glittered up key. ;) And I know this picture is all sideways, but I made this bulletin board and erasable board for Liam's room to hang all of his great projects and photos on. I LOVE how it came out. Again, the photo doesn't do it justice, but enlarging it might help. I'll have to post a photo when I hang it up. The paper parts are little pockets.
I made more projects, but they are gifts for blog readers, so I'll have to wait on posting those for now!

And we want to wish G.G. a big "GET WELL SOON!" G.G. broke her arm today, so we want to send her lots of 'heal quickly' vibes and prayers. We love you, G.G!

3 comments:

Jana Banana said...

wow you should start your own store :) hehe! that looks like so much fun :) we have St. Nicholas come too :) I love Germany!! if you need an idea for a present for me you can make me one of those cool cans :) hehehe!! love you

The Finlays said...

Liam's can looks great with the ribbon on it. I am so excited to finish mine. Your comment about the sparkly key made me laugh out loud because just before I read it I was looking at the key thinking how you had let the stickles get the best of you again. Ü It looks cute though. I love it. Thanks again for all your help and input and supplies. It was fun. Love the board.

The Finlays said...

Okay I just noticed that Liam's lid ended up with an ornament instead of the stocking. What happened?