Thursday, June 20, 2013

Little Surgery

So, Liam had to have a 'little' surgery at the end of May. I'm only writing about it because anyone who is on my reader list already knows about it, and this is part of our family story, so it goes into the blog book Stephenson history too. :)

He ended up having a torsion and they had to remove the dead cells and insure that he didn't not have a repeat of the event. This whole ordeal ended up being more of a big deal that I had anticipated. The surgery took about 2 1/2 hours, which was crazy to me. Most surgeries, even fairly invasive ones, usually last about 1.5 hours these days.  But, he was in the hands of a great surgeon, Dr. Hald, and he had Dr. Gholdoin assist, who is also a fabulous surgeon.  His anesthesiologist was Dr. Winthrop who is a good friend of Heather and Shaawn's, so I felt very comfortable with who was caring for my baby.


He was SUCH a trooper. He was totally relaxed and did exactly what all the doctor's told him. I was a bit of a mess when they took him back, but he was actually really excited about it. He got to wear a cool hat that Dr. Winthrop gave him.

He had some difficulty coming out of the anesthesia.  He had some pretty yucky nausea, but he still maintained a positive attitude.  In fact, when the recovery nurse asked him where his surgery was he replied, "I'm pretty sure it was in OR 4."  He was exactly right. :)  Here are a few pics from before and after surgery.

 photo 9CD95805-DAF9-4416-9658-7D24229E0E52-29454-00000D66AF11E355_zpsd187300e.jpg

 photo 286DCC73-C5B3-47FF-8069-0704E519DC78-29454-00000D66C16EA789_zpsbaeb5a0f.jpg

 photo 71703E45-AEC0-478C-997E-BC763D684567-29454-00000D66CEF7B2FE_zps85642619.jpg

 photo 42157140-858B-4C1A-8AAB-3F88BAFF9987-29454-00000D66E9D6DBBF_zps2d844f2c.jpg

 photo B8C65EE1-4E5C-429E-A0C1-2D66ED7ECE37-29454-00000D66F5072822_zps5e29c42b.jpg

He had a fairly quick recovery, but still missed about 4 days of school. He received lots of get well soon cards and gifts and felt very loved. His teacher even sent him a get well card with a jamba juice gift card, which he and I both thought was pretty cool.

Anyway, he thoroughly impressed me throughout this whole ordeal. He was such a trooper and did so awesome. His only complaint was that he didn't get to show his cool scars to anyone. We are lucky parents to have such a cool kid.

No comments: